Ice Fishing Near Rockland (Ottawa River)

BudsFan

Happy New Year to All!

I've recently relocated to the Rockland area (east of Ottawa) and am looking for spots to do some hardwater fishing. I see the odd hut here and there, but not knowing the river yet I don't know if I'll be fishing in 5 ft or 50 ft, or on a shoal or on a flat. I've been trying to get my hands on depth charts for this area but haven't had any luck yet...the vendors I've dropped by are all sold-out until spring.

I'm C n' R only (for all species), so you need not worry about me harvesting your honey holes.

Any insight anyone can provide would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

BudsFan

Hey BudsFan, there is plenty of good ice fishing around Rockland. I live in Rockland and get out icefishing as much as possible. The ice huts that you see are good starting points to fish around. East of the boat launch is a good starting point, within walking distance there are some good spots. I like to fish in about 25- 30ft water midday and work myself in as the day progresses to dusk. This can be as shallow as 4-8 ft. Around Rockland you can catch just about any type of species of fish. I fish for walleye,sauger but you never know what you will pull up. There are no commercial outfitters in the immediate area.

E-mail me if you have any furthur questions.

Good Luck

Welcome BudsFan to the National Capital Region

You have hit fishing paydirt. Tons of great spots and the Ottawa river itself is a wonderful body of water to fish.

You are correct though... you need to know more about current areas before you venture out too far on the ice... and World of Maps can outfit you with the maps that will help you spot where some of the shallows and thus current areas are... but the best tips come from the local anglers so getting out with some of them will be your best bet.

Try hitting Petrie Island first off and check out where all the anglers are there. You will find that most of them will share a few tips with you openly and will also let you know where not to go. Don't go where you see no foot prints because some areas there are current areas too.

If you want I will hook up with you and share a few tips. I live close to Petrie and love fishing.

Hope to see you out there. :canadian: