Coast Guard breaking ice

Tdel

Midland and Penetanguishene has snow coming down and blowing around pretty good, not very nice out there, especially on the Bays.

Midland Bay has 3 ice huts on it right now. As I was having my coffee and looking out over the bay, I saw a coast Guard ice breaker appear out of the blowing snow around 10:45 am. I was waiting to see if anyone would come out of the huts to look around but no one did. I guess they didn't hear or feel anything.

Ice is being broken up near the center of the bay, right up to and including the town dock.

Be careful if venturing out.

Tom

Some good advice Tom. I saw this ice breaker the other day on Lake Superior. They usually try to keep the shipping channels open until mid January up here. Despite the forecast that calls for a cold winter, it has been very mild up here. In fact they're calling for rain later in the week.

icebreak.jpg

Dan, when I saw the ice breaker I was expecting to see the same colours of the ship in your picture. The breaker that was breaking up the ice in Midland today was a U.S. Coast Guard ice breaker flying Canadian and U.S. flags. I looked up the ship numbers on the net and it matched up to the US Coast Guard ice breaking tug "Katmai Bay".

I should learn to bring my camera with me whenever I go out. I think I would have gotten some great shots when the tug was emerging from the blowing snow. I will never learn that opportunistic shots are always waiting out there for me, especially when I don't have my camera with me. :(

Tom

Tom, I believe that this ship is the Canadian coast guard "Samual Risley". Occasionally we get the US ships up here as well. I think that they come up when the ice is very thick (3 to 4 feet) for the spring breakup. And yes, bring that camera with you more often!! :thumbsup_anim: