onboard battery charger

sonny

Ok here's the question first,,,can i extend the length of cables on the battery charger i bought for my boat,,,it is a 5/5 two bank charger made by promariner for bps...

Now the reason for asking,,,, it says in the instructions i quote "coil excess cable, do not cut or shorten the length of the cables as there is an inline fuses located four inches from the end"

Now working with all the electrical over the year i don't see any reason for not being able to extend the length of the cables as long as i don't use a smaller diameter cable,i solder joint and heat shrink them, and leave the fuses intact...

The reason for needing to lengthen the cable is location of the battery's,,,one in the bow(electric motor) and one in the stern(cranking),,,the cables will not reach

Thanks for the input

As to the first part:

I don't see any reason why you can't lengthen the charger cables.

But, if you're going to be pulling and hiding wire anyway, could you relocate the trolling battery to the stern and run the new cables to the trolling motor? Most boats have the extra room aft and you will gain some storage space in the front, plus the stern doesn't usually bounce around as much as the bow does, which will be better for the battery.

About the second part:

It might not hurt your batteries to leave them on this charger, but Deep Cycles shouldn't be recharged until they are discharged at least 20%.

You don't have to worry about fully charged batteries freezing.

The best thing to do is disconnect them so there is no trickle down and leave them alone.

Garry2rs