Aparteur And shutter speed priority

bassfighter

I bought a Nikon DSLR with manual control, and have a question.

If a person wants to ignore the Auto feature, Which is easier to use Aperteur priority or shutter speed to produce clear shot without a tripod?

I tried playing with the camera, and it seemed like shutter speed control is hard to manipulate, and many images get blurry.

It is not as easy to use as I had expected especially not using a tripod.

Shutter speed and Aperture are both 2 different things....for a clearer, sharp image without a tripod use the shutter speed. The key is to have it as fast as possible without the photo coming out too dark. If you have it too slow, then any slight movement of the camera will ruin the shot as well as the photo may become over exposed because too much light is allowed in......That being said if the shutter speed is too fast the photo will turn out too dark. Just experiment with some different speeds and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it

The short answer is using the shutter priority will give you sharper photographs, providing you don't slow the shutter down too much. As a rule of thumb your shutter should not be set slower than the "zoom" of the lens.

IE. if the lens is 28mm to 90mm zoom you should not use a shutter speed slower than 1/28 of a second if the lens is at 28mm. At 90mm the shutter speed shouldn't be slower than 1/90 of a second.

With most, if not all, DSLRs you can also change the relative ISO of the "film" the higher the number the less light needed for the various settings. The downside is "graininess".

Another thing to consider is your mechanics when you press the shutter release, practice pressing it gently and not jabbing it. Set yourself and tuck your elbows into your body.

Having said that, by using the shutter priority you lose control of your depth of field and this can have a big impact on your shot. Having a tripod allows you to have full control of all aspects of your shooting.

The great thing with digital is that you can see your results right away, and in many cases you can also see the cameras setting when the photo was taken. This allows you to evaluate what gives you the results that you like best.

Hope this helps... and makes sense.

Rob