Ice Fishing for Crappies

Hookset

I've been stumped trying to answer this myself so....

I ice fish a large lake in the Muskoka's for Crappie. The spot I normally fish has become pretty crowded lately.

The lake is several miles long and is full of bays with not much in the way of a main lake basin.

It's a cold deep lake with little vegetation. When the going gets tough I head out into the deepest section and fish for suspended Crappies. That works pretty well but ten minutes later I'm surrounded by a pile of other angler's.

The problem I have is that the entire lake looks excellent. So to eliminate hours of running and gunning I'm wondering what other OFC'ers have experienced.

For example:

- is there any difference as to north, south, east, west parts of a lake being better than others at certain times of the winter for Crappies ?

- does current play any factor with them ?

- do they relate to in flow or out flow rivers at special times ? (even though these are shallower areas that haven't produced for me in winter)

This lake is full of fresh water shrimp, when we dropped an Aquaview camera down we were blown away by the amount of these shrimp. It looked like it was snowing from top to bottom in 40 feet of water. I suppose I could always stick with running and gunning then heading deep in mid winter but slush, deep snow, old lungs etc.

have made me try to be smarter. I said TRY.

Any ideas are appreciated. My lungs thank you.

Hookset.

I agree. Look low key as much as possible.

Invest in a portable tent to hide yourself also.

I think I know whick lake your on.

I've only fished it straight out from the parking area towards the last small islands on the left.

I think the whole lake is full of them and they move from day to day.

Next time punch holes next to the other guys catching and see their reaction. :Gonefishing:

Thanks guys,

I'm usually pretty well hid inside my portable hut, but I like the sunshine some days.

I'm pretty sneaky but it's not hard to tell if a guy is fighting a fish 100 yards away.

Problem is this Lake is pretty big but everyone bunches up in one or two areas.

I've tried touring the lake but haven't had a lot of success finding a hot spot.

Was hoping that someone would know about movement patterns or different holding areas in the winter.

As in early, mid or later season patterns.

If I can narrow down some patterns it will cut out a lot of water that I won't need to bother with.

Thanks for the replies.

P.S. - RHYBAK - no islands near where I fish so must be another lake. Sounds like we should talk

when the ice hits and we can share. :thumbsup_anim:

Hookset.

Edited by Hookset