Sturgeon Lake Report

tipupesox

Fished Sturgeon Lake from Friday early afternoon-Tuesday afternoon. Caught a 32.5" ski on a Niagara River walleye jointed 10" Believer just before the winds picked up. We saw the front coming in so we ran back to Gil Mar Lodge and called it an evening around 5:00 PM. Very windy and cold on Saturday, fished for a while Saturday evening but only could muster up a few smallies. Casted Sunday morning for ski's in the Hawker's bay area. Had a nice 40" class fish follow my bucktail to the boat off the weed edge but would not commit. Had a 30" class fish short strike at the boat fishing in the weeds but the hooks pulled. Caught more smallies Sunday evening but could not get the eyes to go. Monday and Tuesday afternoon concentrated on just the skis but no success. Still have some friends staying for the rest of the week, will report how they do on Monday.

You may have, if you saw a beige and blue Starcraft Islander, that was me. I would usually drift the southern shore past the weed bed in front of Gil Mar lodge going towards McClaren's marina, that is were I caught most of my bass. Usually pick up a few eyes but could not get them to bite. My friends will be staying there until Saturday morning. They have a green and grey Lund, black and beige Sylvan and a grey and blue Crestliner. All have NY registration numbers. Disturbing trip this year, someone stole a 50 gallon cooler and (2) cases of beer off of my friends cottage porch in the middle of the night and than came back early Sunday evening and stole beer out of the coolers on our porch. First time this has ever happened, hopefully whomever it was is smart and does not come back.

This is the first problem we have had in (10) years staying at the resort and hopefully it is the last. I usually make it up to Sturgeon twice a year, once with the family and the other with the guys for our annual muskie outing. If this occurs again we may start looking into a different location. Needless to say, Ron the propeitor, was irritated as well.