Canoe Side Mount

goby

Hi Dan I made one from some parts I picked up from Home Depot. 30 inches of aluminum bracket and some maple to bolt on to.

Laminated the maple and screwed to the bracket. Then used some j screws to hook onto the gunwales. The screws use wing nuts so all is hand tightened.

The 2 horse is 27 pounds. I took this rig into Big Crow in APP with a buddy in May. Ran fine.

Only changes I would make.

Would be to use longer lengths of maple to stop some torquing of the bracket.

gallery_39_120_146389.jpg

Any questions let me know

Edited by Nemo

Hey there,

I'm looking to design something similar for my canoe and minn kota.

Did you put the J screws through the gunwales of the canoe??...if you did, do you think it would be possible to rig something up that would clamp down on the bottom and top of the gunwales without actually having to go through them??

Thanks

Smitty

I went through the scuppers on the inwales. So no holes needed. As for something that woould screw down no problems. Perhaps another peice of metal that is tightened up against the bottom of the inwale.

Also when testing make sure you tie the motor off to the mother ship. If not you may be missing something.

Being a product designer, I would suggest using 2 screws per side. The greater the distance between the screws on each side the more rigid the design. It would also be beneficial to have the aluminum piece be an angle rather than a strip.

My 2 cents.... If it works... use it.