Down-East Sportscraft, Inc AAAAA+++++++

Handlebarz

So about two weeks ago I was out with the family at the Muskies Canada Family weekend well during the weekend I broke one of my down east rod holders the pin came out on it I was able to get the main part but lost the pin I sent a email to them and they had this to say.

Dear Mr. Parker,

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you had with your holder. Did you just loose the cross pin or also part of the holder?

About 2 years ago, for a period of 6 months, we had made the cross pin shorter when we changed over to stainless steel for the pin, thinking it was stronger that regular steel. Soon afterwards, we found that if the shorter pin bends then it could fall out and the holder could come apart. We went back to the original length and have not had this problem since.

Could you look at your other 3 saltys? If you remove the set screw in the side of the socket of the holder then the cross pin can be removed. Could you measure the cross pin and tell me what length it is?

I will send you some new pins to replace the one you lost and have some extras.

If you do have the "old" longer pins than one other possibility is that there could be a "blow" hole in the groove of the socket in your holder that came apart. Please examine the grove which the pin rides in and look for any large blow holes. We check everyone when we assemble them but one still could get through. There might be some small holes which doesn't matter, it would have to be over 1/8" in order for the pin to fall in. If this is the case please let me know and I will send you a new replacement part.

Please let me know and if you have any questions please contact me.

I relpied

Steve thank you for the reply I just measured the pins one is 1 3/8" and the other 2 are 1 1/2" I did not notice a blow hole in the one that came apart

then Steve sent me this email today

Hi Mike,

I will send you a new holder for the one that feel apart and then a new socket with the deeper groove with long pin.

Sorry again for your troubles and I will get this in the mail today.

If you have any questions please contact me.

sorry for the long read but they are due there props for going above and beyond I was expecting maybe a new pin or let know where I could get one not a new holder thanks to Down East for there great customer service.

This will also help others who have had problems in the past maybe they had the shorter pins I just bought tese two holders this spring so they are still out there i nsome of the smaller stores.

Good to hear they admitted a problem and looked after you Mike, and also good of you to bring it to everyones attention. It's nice to know the companies that take care of their customers.

Sorta reminds me of a broken Jail Bird Believer story from about a year ago ;)