Need fishing tips

daisy_girl58

Since this is my second year going salmon fishing....I would like to learn new techniques on catching a salmon.

I know you guys (and a few ladies too) have alot of experience and have really been helpful to me before.....

Hubby says this year there will probably not be any in the small tributaries, so we will have to go to bigger places.

I know there is other traditional ways of catching salmon but I would like to learn new ways.

Hope all is doing well, and hopefully alot of you have had a prosperous fishing season.....

BTW I am a canadian in training now, getting most of the paperwork done and processed....

Need to get better at saying eh.....

Thank you much....

Lorissa

try to hit the fish when they are first moving into the rivers, they are much more accomodating to taking what you are offering. after they have been in the rivers for even a few days, they will be less willing to hit anything, as thier minds on other things.

while roe works well, also keep in mind; flies (wooly buggers, stone flies, egg patterns, etc) and plastics

where a good current is present, try bottom bouncing (a very effective way to present a bait to prey)

if you are in small creeks, spoons/spinners need to be fished with care and only in water deep enough to allow the lure to work. the smaller the creek/river, the smaller the bait should be. (to often when you seed people fishing with spoons/spinners, they are not actually fishing, just hoping to get close enough)

the best runs usually happens when it rains or the day after (but it depends on the watershed and amount of rain)

hope it helps

peter

Fishing in small tribs, you will find that alot of the fish on the end of your line will be accidentaly snagged, it happens and there really isnt anything you can do about it. I only fish salmon for a week or so before the browns and bows start to tag along but even bow fishing I get the odd salmon in a weird place with the hook and the best thing to do is cut the line. Sure you could say you didnt know where it was hooked but better safe then sorry.

Side note, my best advice for this kind of fishing is to RUN A LEADER. It sounds like you havent done this trib fishing too much but there is lots of shopping carts in the bottom of those creeks just waiting to take your entire stash of floats. Float above a small swivel with lighter test line below will save you alot of tackle, and increase the odds of hooking into fish.

Thank you so much for your input.........

I am really looking forward to it, I enjoyed the fresh salmon last year and was able to give alot to new friends .......Hubby was so happy to just watch me, I was giggling and had so much fun.....To me this is the highlight of fishing.....

So happy catching for you guys!

Lorissa

back a few years ago, due to battle a bout of employment, i commited some words to virtual paper and posted them on a different site (hipwader.com). they had a section where they kept articles, and mine got adopted into that section.

these are neither the be-all or end-all, just somewhere in the middle.

some information is now dated, some i would worded different, some areas i would have expanded on, but then i got job.

the first one deals with "notes-on-fishing-for-migratory-species". if i remember correctly, it about the fish, where to find them, when to fish for them, etc.

http://hipwader.com/2003/notes-on-fishing-...gratory-species

the second "fly-fishing-instructions-with-emphasis-on-salmonrainbow" deals more with fly fishing for rainbow and salmon, but a good percentage of that information is transferable to fishing rivers/creeks with other setups.

http://hipwader.com/2003/fly-fishing-instr...n-salmonrainbow

hope it helps