Port Weller near shore fishing

jjcanoe

My neigbour and I made the drive down to Port Weller from London this morning to do some near shore trolling. After a couple of Timmies stops and a quick bathroom break we were on the water by 9am. Once we finally got the boat in the water at the municipal launch (a lot of pushing was involved) we reversed away from the ramp and proceeded to crunch the only underwater rock within miles with the prop. All 3 blades were bent but it didn't seem to affect the running of the boat but definetly must be changed (didn't notice the damage until later) Out to about 80' we headed and dropped the riggers and dipseys down between 35 and 55 feet.

After about an hour of no action and picking fleas and a few tangles out of our lines we finally got somewhat of a system going. Drop down dipsey #1, drop rigger #1, drop dipsey #2, drop rigger #2, trip and reel dipsey#1 and clean fleas off the line, trip and reel rigger#1 and clean fleas off the line, trip and reel dipsey#2 and clean fleas off the line, trip and reel dipsey#2 and clean fleas off the line. Repeat constantly! ( I need flea flicker line!)

First fish came in about 59fow, 49' down and on a blue NK behind a chrome flasher.

6lb brown

101_0396.jpg

The next was just a small king about 2lbs (no pic) on the exact same setup but it hit after we had tripped the release to clean the line. About 65fow and 55' down.

We tried this spot because when I was out there about 3 weeks ago I managed one 30" laker

101_0391.jpg

and had four breakoffs in the 2 hours I was out last time.

Once we got back to the launch it was a circus, jet skis everywhere and there was this guy who launched a catamaran and then proceeded to walk it about a quarter mile down the beach while his minivan and trailer blocked the ramp. At least there was some nice scenery on the beach to keep us ocuppied during the wait.(sorry no pics of that!)

jjcanoe

Thanks Brian, fortunatly I have a spare.

I saw the little rock on the way back in and wasn't much bigger than a soccer ball. Have you gotten out lately?

jjcanoe

I was out twice last weekend and again yesterday. I've spent some time on the Thames carping lately. It's a good time and a lot easier on the wallet than running the boat every weekend!

-Brian