Rice Lake & boating newbie

oncogene

Ok here goes... my parents and sis are coming over to Canada to visit me and to meet my gf's parents (engagement). So instead of endless daily sight-seeing (which my dad doenst' like anyway), I thought let's do something a lil different & I booked a big pontoon on next Sunday on Rice Lake, so both my parents and gf's parents (her dad likes fishing too) can relax, cruise, fish, chat on a (hopefully) nice weather day.

Anyway I only fished for couple season and only from off shore, never from boat. Last weekend I went to Bewdley of Rice Lake and "test-drove" a 14' 10hp alum boat just to feel and see things around abit. But where can i find good fish?!? I've searched and read thru the old posts about Rice Lake.... the hot spots seems to be the weed at the corner west & south of Bewdley and the mouth of Otanabee(sp?) river?

I'd really really really really appreciated whoever fish Rice Lake can give me as much detailed direction of the best spots as they can!!!! Post or send me PM :) I know it's probably alot to ask for since most ppl want to keep their secret spots. BUT... both my gf's dad and myself only fish from off shore normally and neither of us own a boat, so other than the 1 day next sunday, we won't be taking over ur secret spots per say. I just need to "borrow" it for a day, that is! :) Please help me :clapping: I swear I won't leak the info to anyone :mellow:

Some basic info:

- we'll rent and take off from Southview cottage, it's opposite across the lake from Gore's Landing, roughly.

- we can get the boat at 8am, but take another 1/2 hr for "orientation" of the boat from the cottage's owner and ppl getting ready etc, so won't get to any fishing spot til 8:30-9am I think

- the boat is a pontoon, 24' long, 50hp and does have a fish-finder.... no trolling motor

- Looking for good bass mostly... smally or large mouth.

- Walleyes may be interesting... but perhaps out of our league abit?! or will it be easier since we will have fishfinder ?

- Need a sure-fire spot for panfish (sunfish, rockbass, doesn't matter) as backup... if other things fails, at least we can go to catch some small fish.

Oh and 1 question about boating... how do you prevent the weeds getting caught up with the motor?? I found during my "test drive", even a handful of weeds on the motor slows down the boat alot! It's easy to stop and clean up on the small 14' boat, but it won't be so easy on the big pontoon. Or does the bigger engine has some sort of weed-guard thingy?

Now i'm praying the weather will be nice next sunday :worthy: