Fishfinder recommendations?

davis

I've got two fishfinders in my 14' right now - one in the front, and one in the back. The older of the two (in the back) doesn't want to power on anymore, so i'm looking to replace it.

Don't have a big budget for this unfortunately - maybe $200 or so to spend. It'll probably stay with the boat should i decide to upgrade next year.

It's a Humminbird, and I'm thinking i'd like to replace it with another if I can use the same transducer bracket. Haven't really looked into it yet, but i'm hoping it would be compatible with a new unit. If not, oh well, i'll do what I need to do.

Did a bit of research - but i like to hear opinions firsthand from fellow fisherman.

LeBaron has the Humminbird 525 for $129, and the 535 for $189

Any recommendations?

What do you need it to do? If you just want to see bottom structure and contour then just buy a cheap unit. I have a Humminbird Piranha Max 20 (a step down from the 525) and it works fine for shallow water and stationary fishing. However, now that I'm fishing deeper waters and trying to scout out new lakes, I'm in the market for a finder that does a better job of marking fish and won't lose bottom tracking at 10-15 km/h.

Also, you probably can't re-use your mount or transducer, especially if its old.

Since you have two units, I'd put a higher quality one in the back to make scouting new locations and finding fish easier.

Edited by boatman