Anyone using OpenCPN as alternative to Navionics?

Raycaster

I have a small Raymarine 4” Fishfinder that works great and purchased it with the thought of just using a cheap “ 10” tablet with it. It works together with Navionics but there are many glitches and I find I don”t need 75% of the navionics features I pay for yearly.

The problem with navionics is that everyone says you don’t need to pay for updated maps yearly (which is true) BUT they remove options (that originally were FREE) like being able to co-exist with my Raymarine unit.

Still not sure if I will buy an external gps for my iPad(no real gps included) or just buy a android tablet (Samsung Tab A 10”).

I have played with OpenCPN on my laptop which is free but looks like there is still a need to purchase the “good maps” for comparable use like the navionic app.

Being a geek I could see myself putting 2 tablet side by side - 1 with mapping (OpenCPN) and 1 with Sonar from the raymarine unit. I would buy a “headless” sonar unit if cheap enough with side and down image functions. I know alot of guys will laugh at all the unneeded electronics but I enjoy it and its <$500 comparable to $1000s on pro setups.