Parry Sound Piking

bbog

Everything came together for a chance to get away for the weekend. The destination was my favourite Parry Sound location on an 1100 acre property (2/3 camp and 1/3 friends dream home). The location has two private lakes and many, many back lakes nearby. The plan was to bring the whole family.

The trip started after lunch on Friday and resulted in a stormy drive from Durham region. Just a few kilometers from our destination the wind was bending small trees and breaking branches. The rain was teeming down but no thunder and lightening. Once we arrived at the camp (to pick up a boat or canoe) the sky cleared and rain stopped. Would this be the start of a fantastic weekend?

Having brought the "boys" I was hoping to get a boat over a canoe. My favourite boat however was located in a back lake and several hundred meters from where I wanted it. This boat is a very old Crestliner Jonboat that is very, very heavy steel - it is not going to be carried or dragged over to my preferred lake. "No problem" says the camp guardian as he leaves to get his backhoe with forks. Comes back moments later and uses the forks to carefully lift the boat off the beach and proceeds to my chosen lake. Minutes later the boat slides off the forks into the lake. This trip is just getting better and better!!

The wife proceeds in the car to where we will set up camp and I begin the peaceful row over to the other side of the lake. From this moment onwards we do not see another cloud in the sky. Now at the other side here is a shot of our weekend transportation.

vessel.jpg

The goal of the trip was to chase down Black Crappie. Due to the warmer water temperatures I knew this wouldn't be easy but figured I could find them at certain times of the day. WRONG :oops: Tried all their favourite places at their favourite time of day to no avail. Switched it up to looking for the small to average size Pike that are found in this lake. Had no problem getting these guys to bite and also the odd Smallmouth. The Smallies all had evidence of damage on their tails (a result of spawning?) and were released as quickly as possible. Other than the obliging Pike it seemer the recent cold weather had shut everything down. No matter, it was just great to be out with the whole family. Here is a shot of our transportation with temporary motor :clapping: Fraser is on the bow leading the way while Barnie hides from the sun behind Mom.

motor.jpg

With the slow fishing we started having contests with our favourite lure or technique. Soon as the chips were down the fishing really shut-down! All this didn't matter as it was just a blast to get out. The boys however were getting a little hot with their fur coats on so we stopped at a natural rock point the provided a nice walk off from the bow of the boat. The boys had a great swim and returned to the boat cooled off and ready for more cruising around the lake. The last day of our stay was calmer and hotter so the bugs were back in full force.

The largest Pike caught over the course of the weekend was about 25" and those caught on the ultralights (while looking for Black Crappie) were a lot of fun bringing in. Two of the smaller ones were held back for a pleasant shore lunch. All in all a great chance to get away with the family - I hope to return to explore the smaller back lakes in a canoe once Bass season opens. Thanks for reading.