Wanikenwin lodge

raysfish2005

Ray

I fished out of Wanikewin a couple times a season about 20 years ago. We left there for the French River as we found a camp ( the now defunct Casa Blanca Lodge) that my boys loved, primarily because there were other kids around. Also, Wanikewin, at the time, had a shower house instead of showers in the cabin....not a big deal, but a bit of a turn off for us nonetheless. I believe Wanikewin now has showers in each cabin.

That being said, I know it is still run by the Baker (Ken and Dee), and I have talked to them a few times over the last 20 years. The Bakers are great folks. Food was good, cabins were clean, and their fleet of boats and motors always looked well maintained ( we brought our own). We fished for muskie a lot!!, and had very good success. Perhaps the biggest muskie I've seen on a line we lost at boat side there. That was a trip where we caught 5-6 muskies in a week with the largest 49"...the one we lost at boat side was considerably bigger. We also caught the usual other suspects....pike, bass, and walleye. There is a fair amount of water to fish. From Ken's camp near Hiway 69 you can fish east about 5-6 miles, and going west you can fish all the way down to the way lower French River before it channels off into Georgian Bay. There are several nice bays going in either direction. One good thing about that area is that, like the French, you are not worried about the wind. You can always find calmer water.

Wanikewin is on my bucket list. A friend of mine (we're still friends even though I was on the net on the huge lost muskie) hadn't taken a trip with just the two of us since our Wanikewin days (damn kids!) and this year we got the opportunity. We planned on going in late September. The first place we called was Ken's. Unfortunately, he closes mid September so we went elsewhere. However, we both would still like to go back.

Probably more than you were looking for, but there it is.