Remote fishing trips

Headhunter

I'm sure that a fly in fishing trip is on almost everyone's "to do" list. But with a little bit of homework, you guys can have the trip of your life without flying anywhere. If you're willing to drive from Toronto to the Kenora area, you've driven past 1000's of prime fishing areas on your way west. Maybe not right on the trans Canada, but not too far north from it. Personally, I'd rather park at a lake with nobody else there than stay at a lodge. Do some home work. Look at some maps. Ask questions. Northwestern Ontario is a vast area of untapped fishing opportunities if you get off the beaten path a mile or two. Ask tjsa how much he'd pay to catch a 40+ Pike. I can answer that for him. He wouldn't pay a nickel. Cuz they're everywhere up here. But like me, he doesn't target them. We don't like Pike up here. They're a pest fish in our books. But if that's what you want, come on up. Most of you guys have seen Rons reports from up here the past 4 years or so. He came here blind and posted pictures each year of trophy Pike, Lake Trout and Brookies each year. He fished right in my back yard and fished places that I never heard of before. He did his homework is all. Bottom line is this. If you need to get on an airplane to catch fish and want to get pampered, then by all means go for it. If you want a better experience, get out a map and head north.

I couldn't agree with you more Dan. The experience of getting in a plane and flying somewhere is neat, but it doesn't make a difference in terms of "quality" fishing. I personally would have a hard time paying that kind of coin unless that plane met me at pearson so I could avoid the drive...

I couldn't agree with you more Dan. The experience of getting in a plane and flying somewhere is neat, but it doesn't make a difference in terms of "quality" fishing. I personally would have a hard time paying that kind of coin unless that plane met me at pearson so I could avoid the drive...

Yeah, there's no doubt whatsoever you guys are absolutely right. I've done more than my share of those kinds of trips myself.

The big advantage of a fly in is the ease of planning and logistics. You can take off for a 3-4 night fly in trip to an outpost camp with nothing else to plan and bring other than you're food, clothes and fishing tackle.

Concentrate on nothing else other than fishing and having fun.

The back lakes/bush bashing trips are awesome, but they're also a lot more involved....

They're both great in their own way....