Help Needed (NF)

jil101ca

On the way home from Mattawa tonight Mark ran over a Sandpiper. He didn't see her on the road until it was to late. She was killed instantly. She had 4 babies which we brought home. I know they don't have much chance but at least it is more of a chance that in the bush with no Mother. I think they eat insects and bugs but I'm not sure. I've done a google but can't find alot about what they eat. Does anybody know what I could feed them? They seem to be very young, about the size of a newborn chick.

start hunting for bugs! Depending on how old they are Ihave raised birds with an I dropper. I would

go to Co-op and get "chick feed starter" mix it with water and feed them. It sounds like these babies were mobile and a little older than that stage. They might be better off if you release them. Use google and call a rehab bird centre and they for sure will be able to help you! Always give birds water all the time.

Good on you Jil for homing the lil pipers..

I searched for a wild animal rescue site that I believe is in the Powassen area, but with no avail..

They would have given you proper advice on how to care for the young sandpipers. Maybe you could call the North bay Humane society for help?

They are definately moblie. I'll call North Bay Humane society Tues Morning if we still have them. I'm going to put them in a wire bottom cage and sit them on some ant hills around the yard and just see how them do.If i see them eating then I will release in a woods near here. Thanks guys for the advice.