Orillia Perch Derby

kennyman

Me and my buddy LJ went "perchin" yesterday in Orillia. It was a pretty nice day,14 degrees and sunny. The fishing was fairly slow from what I'm told and strangely enough so was the boat traffic (although it was enough traffic for me). We caught about thirty fish each (a wide range of sizes ), all perch and all on minnows except for one,which LJ caught on a worm. More importantly it was our maiden voyage with my new (to me) 12 ft. Sea King tinny. The boat didn't sink (or crash,but it does seep a little) and the 9.5 Evinrude runs like a swiss watch. All in all a good day, but no tags darn it. I would have loved to get one as my Dad and stepmom usually get at least one tag every year. They got the first one of the derby this year, but have been skunked since.Only 9 of the 60 available tags have been caught as of last night and none of the big ones only $500 (I wouldn't have complained LOL). According to my Dad the perch have moved out and are harder to find (in their regular numbers) than normal. All in all it was a good first day and on the water and using the ultralight some of the bigger perch were fun to bring in. Pike opens next weekend and if the weather is decent I'll be heading back up there. For that I might even remember the camera!