Killing Fishing Access in Goderich

Canuck2fan

Has anyone else noticed that in Goderich soon you will not be able to fish off of either pier? The mine apparently closed the route out to the north pier after the tornado citing safety concerns during construction. Now the same mine has shut down access to the end of the south pier while they put up some sort of cement wall to help keep the tour boat tourists' feet dry if there is a south wind? At least that is what the locals say is happening.

Can't seem to find any real facts about why the access is being lost or if it is even legal to limit public access to a public pier? I know the town supposedly sold the road to the mine on the north side but could the town sell the actual pier too?

It is a real shame and I know lots of anglers who just won't go to Goderich and spend anytime and therefore any money, which the town could sorely use.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Yeah alot of access was "lost" :wallbash: after the tornado. We went in over on the north side last year at the tressel, but its a shame because we had a great spot on the southside for steelies which we cannot get in at anymore. It would be nice if the town council would come out and clarify the exact position, ie, can they actually prevent access like you said. My understanding is that the town leased the road to the mine, but I could be wrong. The whole situation is bull as far as I am concerned. Last year we asked if we could walk down towards the mine next to the train tracks and they wouldn't let us.

And if as I reread it that they are blocking on the southside of the mine, that is complete garbage. We spoke to a supervisor and he said the only bit that can be closed is where the gate is going up towards the grain silos, cause they own that bit. If the town is allowing all this fishing access to be blocked, its going to cost them in the long run, fisherman are a major source of income to the town for sure. Very short sighted.

Edited by Dutchy

My link

This looks promising!

I don't think it is promising in anyway shape or form. Right now you can only get half way out on the south pier because of the construction, of the wall. It is fenced off the perch are coming in for the fall and no one can get out there to fish them.

After the wall is put up next summer you will NEVER be able to fish the outside or end of the pier unless you want to stand and pull your fish up over the 3 to 4 ft wall. This spring when the minnows were in the inner harbour you could catch anything from walleye to brown trout off of either side of the south pier....

That option after the project will be gone forever or until the cement wall crumbles....

Yeah alot of access was "lost" :wallbash: after the tornado. We went in over on the north side last year at the tressel, but its a shame because we had a great spot on the southside for steelies which we cannot get in at anymore. It would be nice if the town council would come out and clarify the exact position, ie, can they actually prevent access like you said. My understanding is that the town leased the road to the mine, but I could be wrong. The whole situation is bull as far as I am concerned. Last year we asked if we could walk down towards the mine next to the train tracks and they wouldn't let us.

And if as I reread it that they are blocking on the southside of the mine, that is complete garbage. We spoke to a supervisor and he said the only bit that can be closed is where the gate is going up towards the grain silos, cause they own that bit. If the town is allowing all this fishing access to be blocked, its going to cost them in the long run, fisherman are a major source of income to the town for sure. Very short sighted.

I too have heard so many rumors about if you can walk out to the north pier or not? No one really seems to know the facts. I guess some emails and calls to the council are in order to find out. I can't believe no pro fishing organizations have made the council clarify things, it didn't take long to force a reversal in T.O. when they closed fishing on Toronto park property. I guess Goderich doesn't have the big concentration of OFHA members to interest them in finding out.

I agree about the town losing income, the huge group of angler I fished with all summer at Port Bruce used to head to Goderich in late July through until the fall perch run stopped said they weren't going to waste their time. Now the money they would have dropped in Goderich is going to go elsewhere, due to the construction on the South pier having it gated half way out. That is a shame for the local businesses who could use the revenue.

Town councilman, Goderich, John Grace owns a fishing lodge in northern Ontario. One could only hope that he of all people would understand the economic value of the sport fishery to the town. I suppose he would be the best person to approach for lobbying to maintain access for fishing,

God knows the town needs to maintain or boost anything that can generate value it's poor current economy.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got an official reply from the town of Goderich...

Looks like there will be some opportunites for shore/pier fishing in the distant future... Lets hope the mine gets their act together and installs the ship loader quickly so they can get the new fencing in to allow at some access to the north pier for the fall perch run, since they have the south pier closed off until they finish it.

Here is the reply

"This is in reply to your inquiry regarding access for fishing in Goderich. The road to the rear of the mine is closed the public there will be a new area along the river wall created to allow fishing off the wall and after construction is completed on the South pier it will be re-opened to the public and when Sifto’s new ship loader is installed and the fencing is replaced the North pier will be open to the public when there isn’t ship’s being loaded.

Hopefully this answers your questions

Chip Wilson CRS-S

Director Of Operations

Town of Goderich"