Happy Day Lodge

doack

Headed up to Happy Day Lodge in a month, never been there, but many say its a great fishing lake for a drive in. I am staying at the outpost camp with one veteran of many trips with me, two teenagers, and two first timers, and would love to keep them interested lol. Any tips, looking for walleye, pike and smallies. Pretty good with first two, but not much on the small mouth. Baits, where to target, times of day, anything along those lines would be great. Are the portage lakes worth the trip? Any reports from those that have been there this year?

Thanks in advance

Doug

I was up there for the first time last year with my two young sons. It was the last week of July. Stayed at the main camp so we didn't make it all the way out to the outpost. As for the bass, we caught plenty of them using worms on bottom and under a bobber. Usually dropped anchor close to any good looking rocky shorelines and it was as simple as that - 5-15 feet of water. Only had limited luck with walleye but I am sure it was more my inexperience versus the lake. Also only boated a few pike but the owners were very upfront to let us know it was not a numbers lake for pike so that was fine with me. Overall we landed more than enough fish to keep a 8 and 11 year old entertained for 8-10 hours on the water each day. I intend on going back but this year we are trying our first fly in.

I was up there for the first time last year with my two young sons. It was the last week of July. Stayed at the main camp so we didn't make it all the way out to the outpost. As for the bass, we caught plenty of them using worms on bottom and under a bobber. Usually dropped anchor close to any good looking rocky shorelines and it was as simple as that - 5-15 feet of water. Only had limited luck with walleye but I am sure it was more my inexperience versus the lake. Also only boated a few pike but the owners were very upfront to let us know it was not a numbers lake for pike so that was fine with me. Overall we landed more than enough fish to keep a 8 and 11 year old entertained for 8-10 hours on the water each day. I intend on going back but this year we are trying our first fly in.

Thanks for taking time Hoosier, received a pm from another guy with some great info also, now the clock is REALLY going slow! Can't wait. Take care, Doug

I have been successful for smallmouth in Ontario using senkos. I actually use the generic bass pro version called stiko's. We were up in the shining tree in early June. The smallmouth seemed to prefer the plastic worms. If you need more info on how to fish these let me know. I had no idea until someone from the site taught me now before my 1st trip to Ontario.

Went there for a week last year. Never fished the outpost side, but, found slow presentations worked the best in the areas we fished. Heading back the last week of August.

Bob and his family have instilled some great catch and release rules on larger fish and are working with the ministry to turn Windermere into the trophy lake it has the potential to be.