Help with 2012 plans

fishhatemybait

Hey all,

A lot of knowledge on this board and I hope that I can borrow some again. I have an annual trip with my son (10) and nephew (13) and have gotten some great advice from members of this board. We went to the Kipawa area last year and had a good trip with great weather. The great weather did not do well for the walleye fishing but the pike on the back lakes saved us. Two years ago went to Nipissing. Some OK fishing but few fish caught before sundown and pretty crowded for us. So, for 2012 I am searching out a new option. Walleye I can take or leave but Pike are what get my heart pounding. As well, the boys have asked for SM Bass to be in the lake this year. A good day fishing for us was 20 fish for the boat but I would love to have the shot at bigger numbers!

We will likely be going in the first week of July 2012.

The parameters of the trip:

Within 12 hours of Hamilton

Total cost of Cabin, Boat, Motor, Gas is not more than $900 for all of us to stay 5-7 days

Full bathroom in the cabin (Toilets at a minimum)

Hiking in to portage lake not required to get to the good fishing (little ones are scared of bears...)

Drive in camp.

Good to excellent Pike fishing

I am considering Happy Day Lodge (but have heard that pike is so-so and lake is a difficult navigation route without GPS and Green wilderness lodge (Pike sounds good). Also, not afraid of remote but would like to be at a group of cabins as opposed to an outpost camp. We were way back in the bush last year and Kipawa and it was great.

We will bring in our own food and bait so that is not in the cost either.

Thanks again to all the members who help me out! Any and all comments are welcome!

Chris

Edited by fishhatemybait

Have you been to Bush Country Camp in the Kipawa? The lake is Sassaginega. I went there a few years ago and there are lots of big Northerns in that lake. I was only there for three days and caught 4 fish over 40" and lots of Walleye as well. The Walleye were all the eater size which was fine by us. August would be my choice of time. There is lots of Lakers in there as well.

Have you been to Bush Country Camp in the Kipawa? The lake is Sassaginega. I went there a few years ago and there are lots of big Northerns in that lake. I was only there for three days and caught 4 fish over 40" and lots of Walleye as well. The Walleye were all the eater size which was fine by us. August would be my choice of time. There is lots of Lakers in there as well.

Hilarius that you mention Bush COuntry Camp. That is where we stay this year in the first week of July. The weather was too nice fo any walleye to be caught before 9 pm any night (we tried one day with harnesses, jigs, and slip bobbers but no luck) We also trolled for pike in Manimay bay with no success. We spent most of our time on Lac Ecarte (3 days) and caught many pike and marked more fish than I could count. Loved it there but two drawbacks. While the outhouses were clean, the boys need a bathroom in the cabin and would like to get the type of fishing from Ecarte on a main lake with out portaging. Where did you catch your pike on the main lake? Toll, cast, or on Walleye jigs?

Chris

Hilarius that you mention Bush COuntry Camp. That is where we stay this year in the first week of July. The weather was too nice fo any walleye to be caught before 9 pm any night (we tried one day with harnesses, jigs, and slip bobbers but no luck) We also trolled for pike in Manimay bay with no success. We spent most of our time on Lac Ecarte (3 days) and caught many pike and marked more fish than I could count. Loved it there but two drawbacks. While the outhouses were clean, the boys need a bathroom in the cabin and would like to get the type of fishing from Ecarte on a main lake with out portaging. Where did you catch your pike on the main lake? Toll, cast, or on Walleye jigs?

Chris

We were there on the opening weekend in May. Not the best time of the year to be there fishing for big Northerns. The ice had only been off for a week or so. So we concentrated on the shallow bays on the north side of the lake. We were sight fishing and could see the big Northerns swimming around. They wouldn't take anything we threw at them till we decided to dead bait with big six inch plastic minnows in 3 to 4 ft of water. The fish were still in post spawn and the bite was tough but we coaxed a few big girls to bite. I understand that August is the time to be there for big fish. Trolling and casting the main lake structure you will get lots over 40" and possibly a 30 lber. Definitely going to go back there and spend more time on the Lakers, there are lots and they are big.

• 2 weeks later...