Canoe Rack for ATV

The Birdfish

Looking for some plans or pictures for a home made canoe rack for my ATV.

I have 2009 Polaris 500 if that matters.

Doing some back lakes and will be on some rough terrain and I think a utility trailer will not cut it.

If you have ideas for a quick home made trailer for a small boat 14 ft that would be cool too!!!

I know they sell them for anywhere from $200- $500 but to rich for my blood.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Looking for some plans or pictures for a home made canoe rack for my ATV.

I have 2009 Polaris 500 if that matters.

Doing some back lakes and will be on some rough terrain and I think a utility trailer will not cut it.

If you have ideas for a quick home made trailer for a small boat 14 ft that would be cool too!!!

I know they sell them for anywhere from $200- $500 but to rich for my blood.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Yes.....by all means....make your own rack.

A few years ago, I bought a small stick 120 volt welder. I use sticks that work very well at 35 to 50 amps. My welder has a 70 amp output. I then did a bit of reading on the internet on how to weld. Ever since then, I have been welding all sorts of things. It's a lot of fun modifying an old trailer or repairing something around the house. Ok....I would not recommend using such a welding machine for welding something that will need to take a lot of weight but for building an ATV rack, it will do just fine. I think I paid about 125 dollars for my welding machine but the thing has saved me a lot of money over the years. On top of that it's fun to use.

I also keep an eye out for metal scraps because I save a lot of money doing that.

In your case, I would check out your atv to see where you could install 4 short square metal tubes. You can even install the tubes with U-bolts to the ATV. Most people install the anchor points to the front and rear baggage carriers. From those 4 anchor points, it will be no problem to make some uprights from slightly smaller sized metal tubing that will fit inside the 4 short square tubes. You drill through the tubes and you can install pins to hold the rack to the ATV.

The other tool that is indispensable is an electric grinder with cutting disks and grinding disk. Grinders sell for 30 dollars and even less. The cutting disks cut through steel like it was butter.