kesagami lake - a little different perspective

phishfearme

as i mentioned before, i've just joined this board but have been doing flyin outpost cabin trips for over 25 years. i've posted lots of reports on walleyecentral under the "canada eh?" board and thought i'd include a few here that may provide a little different viewpoint than is commonly posted. one is on kesagami lake - this was posted in 2009 so things may be a bit different there now but some things - like the lake characteristics - do not change. enjoy:

let me give a little different perspective on this lake. our group fished kesagami for a week portaging in everyday from partridge lake - the guy who runs partridge has a boat cache LUP on the western shore of kesagami - the lodge is on the eastern shore. first, we had a terrible weather week including being snowed in at cochrane the first day (july 1) and then had 4 straight days of storms and strong west winds. kesagami - like most all james bay basin lakes is very shallow (4-6 ft in most places) and featureless (flat bottom practically no structure). these storms really stired up the water and made it extreemly muddy so besides fighting hugh waves we were also fighting the poor visibilty - as such, fishing was not very good although we did get a half dozen 40"+ pike and one 28inch walleye. the average size of the walleye though was dissappointing - maybe 15-16inches.

you also need to recognize that all of the structered areas are marked with bouys and are hit constantly by freighter canoe after freighter canoe every day all season. we talked with a few people in the canoes and they're weren't doing any good also. i believe guides used to be included in the package and required but not sure now as they advertise a daily rate for guides.

to summarize, 1 - this shallow lake can get seriously muddy during storms and seriously impact pike fishing, 2 - DON"T expect the structure fishing that is the norm is schield lakes like in NW ontario, 3 - winds can seriously restrict where you can fish. the surrounding land is flat and wind breaks/islands are few and far between 4 - better expect to spend in the $2500 - $3000USD range for a week. tips, guide fees and booze can really add up.

otherwise, other groups i've talked with had an enjoyable trip but if you're used to structure fishing you'll totally have to change your ways.

phish

progress.gif