replacing line guides?

martymonty

I have an older rod that I really like ,but the guides are worn and cracking. I want to change the guides, seen a replacment set at BPS but no one there had any idea how to change them. Do I cut off all the bindings off the old ones? what do you use for new bindings? can they be bought ?(apparently not at BPS) Is it best to take it in to be done professionally, and is it worth the money? I would like to try it myself but want a good job done, which I could probalby do If I had the proper materials and instruction, any help would be appreciated! :)

I was just thinking the same thing this weekend. After pricing out the guides,binding and appoxies I oppted to have a tackle shop do it for me It worked out to $5.00 to $8.00 a guide for him to do it which saves me money in the long run since I dont have to pay twice after screwing it up and taking it to him to fix anyways.

Shrink Tubing will last until you hook a fish and then fall right off under tension.

There is no substitute for doing this right. I have no idea the quality of BPS guides but I would look to Angling Specialties or John Collinga for quality guides and thread as well as epoxy.

It is very easy but highly tedious to wrap a guide onto your rod, preparation before hand and adding epoxy finish afterward are the fussy parts.

Private message me if your interested in all the details. I'd be willing to give you a quick online lesson.

Definately a worthwhile skill to learn if you own more than a few rods of any quality.

Check out rodbuilding.org for a rod building forum similar to this one.