Fixing up/restoring an old trashed Canoe

Ziki

Just wondering if you guys think its worth my time to buy this 14' canoe from a friend for $200 and fix it up?

Just looking for someone who has restored a canoe before and can offer advice about time and $$ involved in restoration.

I am considering fixing it up and reselling it.

Thanks for any advice!

canoe2-2.jpgcanoe1-1.jpgcanoe3-3.jpg

Edited by Ziki

what kind of work are you looking at doing to it? looks like it needs a new seat, maybe 2 if the webbing is toast on the other one, (take the old ones off and cut the new ones to size and re-attach them) does it need new gunwales or just a paint job? a bit hard to tell due to the small size of the pictures. If you buddy hasn't wrapped it around a rock before it might be worth picking it up, but you might want to price out the fix-up supplies you'll be needing first.

jjcanoe

That canoe looks like it needs a fair bit of work...

it is worth doing if there is a really good canoe coming out the other end.

Is it light enough for you to carry by yourself?

Is it solid? That bottom looks flimsy, but, as jjcanoe says, the pics are a bit too low-res to make much of a judgement call.

I'd be hesitant myself, I've done several canoes, and this one, at first glance, may not be worth the effort.

It's always a tough decision when you find a fixer upper. Worst case scenario is you learn something by doing it, and sell it mid-summer.