What a great couple days to go fishing!

pooch

Blog Entry – May 6, 2011

What a great couple days to go fishing!

Thursday and Friday the weather forecast finally called for sunny days and warm temperatures. Not surprisingly renovations at the cottage came to a screeching halt.

At this time of the year water temperature is one of the most important factors I consider before wetting a line for pike. Pike spawn in weedy shallow bays when temperatures reach 5° Celsius (41° F). Post spawn they will recover in these shallow depths for a week or two if forage is available. On special occasions several sunny days follow the pike spawn and water temperatures in these shallow back bays quickly warm into the range that sunfish begin their annual nesting phase. When that happens the shallow water bite can be outstanding for numbers and for big fish.

On Thursday I had my fingers crossed that that the water temperatures had cooperated, but I was denied such pleasure when I saw the water temperature in what I call a limbo phase, hovering around 10° C (50° F). We started shallow and worked our way deep to try and connect with some active pike. It wasn’t until we hit the six to eight foot depths that we started to get into some action.

My “go to” lure this time of year has always been a fire tiger coloured Rapala Husky Jerk, but Thursday morning my fishing partner for the day was out fishing me 2:1 with a Smithwick Rouge suspending jerk bait. The Rouge was getting down about five to six feet whereas my Husky Jerk was digging down three to four feet. It didn’t take long for me to switch lures and get back into the game. We caught a dozen pike on Thursday, the two biggest around the five pound mark.

025.JPG

Friday was more of the same, but on a different lake (both lakes are on the eastern edge of the Kawartha’s). Again, shallow water less than four feet did not produce many bites, but six to eight feet did. Another dozen or so pike cooperated including this decent one around seven pounds. What a great way to end a week!

027.JPG

Tight Lines,

Andrew

Red's Fishin' Blog

What worked?

• Purple/Silver or Black/Silver coloured Smithwick Rougue jerk bait

• Depths 6-8 feet

• Shimano Clarus 6’6” medium heavy, extra fast action rod

• Shimano Chronach 6.2:1 gear ratio reel

• 30lb Stren Super Braid main line with 8" 30lb fluorocarbon leaders

Pattern for the day: Six to eight foot depths just outside of shallow south facing muddy/weedy back bays with temperatures that were warmer than the main lake. Weeds needed to be present or else no bites were registered.

Weather Conditions:

Thursday

Sunny with stiff north winds gusting to 25 km/h

Surface water temperatures 9° C (48° F) rising to 11° (51° F)

Air temperatures 10° C (50° F) rising to 17° C (63° F)

Friday

Sunny with moderate south winds blowing about 10 to 15 km/h

Surface water temperatures 9° C (48° F) rising to 11° (51° F)

Air temperatures 11° C (52° F) rising to 15° C (59° F)