Fishing... for some advice

GreenCanada

Hey All,

So I have a question to pose to the many experts who fish Georgian Bay, particularly the shoreline.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=44.672826,-79.987877&daddr=&geocode=&hl=en&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=18&sll=44.672701,-79.988387&sspn=0.002167,0.004796&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=44.672701,-79.988387&spn=0.002167,0.004796&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=44.672826,-79.987877&daddr=&geocode=&hl=en&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=18&sll=44.672701,-79.988387&sspn=0.002167,0.004796&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=44.672701,-79.988387&spn=0.002167,0.004796" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

I want you to look at the location I have linked above. I heard that decades ago there was a commercial fishery based in D'Aoust Bay, that would fish Lake Huron and Georgian Bay for a variety of species.

I am a pretty experienced river fisherman and I prefer to work shorelines wherever I go. The location on that map is basically a rock break wall that I just started to fish from last summer, without much success. I did land a number of smaller smallmouth bass and had a single 18-22" rainbow (I think) smash my lure.

What I am hoping to learn from your combined wisdom is what lures (size, colour, style, etc) do you find work well from shore when targeting trout or salmon? The water is usually very clear, 10-20+ feet deep, and has some boulders further out. Also, I spin cast.

P.s. 5 days till honey hole fishing on the Credit!!

Cheers

Edited by GreenCanada

the thing about Georgian Bay is you dont have to be very far off land to be in 100 plus feet of water ....so ill suggest you should focus more on getting your bait down into the zone where the fish are holding ...plugs work very well but they float...so load up your line with heavy weights and get your lure down around the 30-35 foot mark at dusk....just count it down before you start retrieving and experiment with different depths...GBay has been tough the past few years for alot of anglers ...but ...i could just be lucky that i still catch fish EVERY outing on the boat...most times within casting distance to land

Good Luck

the thing about Georgian Bay is you dont have to be very far off land to be in 100 plus feet of water ....so ill suggest you should focus more on getting your bait down into the zone where the fish are holding ...plugs work very well but they float...so load up your line with heavy weights and get your lure down around the 30-35 foot mark at dusk....just count it down before you start retrieving and experiment with different depths...GBay has been tough the past few years for alot of anglers ...but ...i could just be lucky that i still catch fish EVERY outing on the boat...most times within casting distance to land

Good Luck

Thanks for the tips Twocoda. Do you have any advice on colour combination? I often use black and silver original raps or blue and white with success in rivers, but not much in GBay.