Vapour barrier with Pot lights

moemoe

I thought I would ask the pros around here, I am in the middle of doing a reno and am installing pot lights which are in an isulated space, the attic. I bought the metal housing and in talking to the "electrical guy" at rona, he told me I could get away with covering/taping with poly vapour barrier as opposed to 8 bucks for an inconvinient and not too practicle blue box. From what I found on the net, although ontario building inspectors like to see the "blue box", this box doesn't actually provide good vapour barrier due to its dimensions and need to push it tight around the box. I found a good article relating to alberta standards in support of using 6mm poly here

http://www.airdrie.ca/building_development/pdf/Installing%20airtight%20recessed%20luminaires.pdf

So should I purchase the blue boxes? I have 17 lights I installed, or should I use the poly? and I am not having these lights inspected, thanks for the help moe

As GB stated...make sure they are IC rated and if they dont have a sealing gasket around the housing lip make sure you "tuck tape" the poly to the housing and all your seams if they dont overlap on a joist/truss....although it is impossible to achieve 100% closed sealed barrier (because of staples and drywall screws) try to get as close as humanly possible...

pot lights have changed drastically over the last 5 years in sizes and prices...there is a reason some cost 5 dollars a unit as oppposed to 35 dollars a unit ...

Good Luck and enjoy your new lighting ..

no need for an " IC " rated potlight to have vapour barrier installed above it, here in Niagara. hammer in the four rails,if you have 2 foot centers, you might have to add a piece or two of 2x4 so the metal hangar bars don't un hook, hook in the wires, vapour as normal, right over pot, incl, hole, i have seen the hole cut and tucked (preferred by most), i have also seen it left uncut for drywaller to roto out with drywall.insulate all over the pot in attic, no need to worry about fire, etc... we use contraste pots for the majority of our jobs.

It is a building code issue, and could possibly change from region to region, i know several years back, St.Catharines wanted all ic's to have a vapour barrier formed around it, one or two potlight reps came down and satisified the stickler and now that issue is no longer one here.

Check building code for your municipality....

Enjoy!!!

John