where are those river fish in the winter time?

saneryin

My recent trips to the river side, the fish does not bite.

the same technique and same water, same place, why so much difference? I am aware weather is colder than summer but I do believer fish need to eat something, even in winter.

so, could I assume fish is there any more? the water there is around 6~9 feet deep.

Does anybody read any article regarding the habit of river fish(bass, pike, crappie etc) in the year round, such as this period and the winter time? Are they still in the river but in deeper area or under constructure? or they just swim back off and return to the big lakes? - I don't think they are able to jump high up the those fast running dams except samon.

I saw carps still there jumping.

I'm not sure which river you fish. But I know that on my local rivers, fishing pressure can stop fish from biting. Maybe the area you are fishing only has a small population of fish.

Maybe people aren't releasing the fish they catch, and there are no new fish moving in.

I know of a few spots that used to be awesome for big fish. Too many people found out, and now the fish don't have a chance to grow big. People start keeping more smaller fish which really hurts the population.

Maybe the fish have moved. Time to try a new spot.

Artificial lures all have a time and a place but there's no one presentation that will always catch fish.

Live bait catches fish eventually if they're there.

They have to eat sooner or later, you just might have to wait till next summer to catch fish at your spot again.

Guest Manitoubass

This time of year it really depends on the river, depth, structure, temp, weather etc, just like any othe time of year. Also baitfish tend to head upstream in lots of rivers, and the fish can follow the baitfish.

Also, if your fishing walleye, they may be looking for their winter homes, probably not quite yet, but look for 15-22 ft of water with a hard bottom, possible current breaks, and try to use live bait. Minnows are more successful, at least for me, this time of year, rather than leeches or worms.

If using artificial baits, slow down your retrieve. If your jigging, slow it down as well.

Hope this helps