A N/F Portage Report

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Friday night I raced out to my uncle's camp. The plan is that my cousin, his chum, and myself are going to portage out from there camp to a lake about 6km away. Friday night we load the 4 wheeler with canoes and gear and had some daddy pops by the fire.

Now I'm not much of a drinker anymore but one wobbly pop turned into a flurry of bud light and logs thrown on the fire. Stories were told, a sauna and a swim, a few laughs (mostly at each others expense), and it was time to retire.

Fast forward to 7:07 Saturday morning. I awake to an all too familiar yet long forgotten sensation of heartburn, headache, and garbage mouth. Just as I roll my 6'3 body across a mattress the width of a tailgate, my cousin below bellows out a mournful sound from somewhere in his belly. Slowly the septic tank odor diffused through the room until it finally reached my unsuspecting but sensitive sense of smell.

Suddenly I was in a panic because this ungodly smell had driven my hangover to the point of a "technicolour yawn". I barely cleared the porch by the time it happened, definitely not my finest moment. :stretcher:

Two paddles and 3 portages later and we were on the windswept lake. :whistling:

We set up camp on the rocky point, then set out immediately on the lake to fish. My cousin and his chum boarded a 14 ft fiberglass square stern and i set out in my kevlar. While the 2 of them caught some decent little lakers in 25-30fow, I fished a lesser windy shoreline to no avail.

Dinner time rolled around and my hangover had only been fueled by the grueling paddle in the wind. I was dehydrated, undernourished, and all around uncomfortable. I suddenly found myself craving the groove in my couch and the therapeutic value of Gatorade.

I quickly ate pasta, loaded my pack, and proceeded to do the entire 3 hour portage in an hour and a half just to get back to the camp and head home.

It was a rough day but after the fact it was all kind of funny!

:asshat:

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus