Stories of Cats and Turtles

oates

Haven't gotten out much this month, working a lot - perhaps next month. Nonetheless, it has been weird.

Story 1 - Cats

I never caught a catfish before, however, I was in the Grand and my wife found a catfish, the sign of my palm swimming in circles, it was a bit bloddy and something wrong with its tail. I was able to grab it, (does that count as my first catfish?) I put it on my dropshot setup, threw it out, and well, lets say, it was one of those hookups when there was no need to set the hook, one second nothing, next second my line is ripping out, landed a 3lb bass I believe.

Cats continued...

so next time out, I'm with my son, he's 9, he landed a large mouth bass, first cast, actually first splash, fish took his lure when it splashed on the surface, he then proceeded to catch a catfish (when I never have!), it was fun watching him drag in that cat on his 5ft rod, almost broke his arm. So we moved on, then I hooked up something on a crawpapi, in 2ft of water about 2ft away, my line was going nuts, it was clearly the biggest fish (river) I've landed, got it in, it was a channel cat, first one - funny, as it flopped on the beach, it spat the hook!, but get this, it had a nice lure in the side of its mouth and lots of 8lb test line stuck around it! So I caught a channel cat, a nice lure and one of those adjustable thingeys so you can switch lures on the fly! What a good catch!

Story 2 - Turtle

Next time out, I caught a nice bass, decided to hold that one for the BBQ ,walking and I felt my stringer got caught in the weeds, pulled it towards me, the stringer pulled back, then suddenly it almost pulled me over. I dragged the stringer towards me and a huge turtle had mauled my now dead bass. I tried to wrestle the stringer away and he wouldn't let go, I ended up dragging him to the beach and he was snapping and giving me dirty looks. Funny thing is, I never seen a turtle in the river before and it was huge.

You never know what can happen when you go fishing. I eventually took the bass off the stringer and let him eat the rest, he finished it in three bites.

Guest Johnny Bass

Great stories. You need a few pictures to go with it, but the stories were well told. Congrats on catching your first catfish and getting a lure you know, works on catfish. May I ask what lure it was? :)