A Change of Scenery

pooch

A Change of Scenery - Blog Post June 17, 2010

Thursday I decided to go fishing with a guy I have known for a couple years. Doug has caught hundreds of muskie and when our schedules matched up for a spring outing, I was pretty excited to get on the water. I’ve been struggling on my home body of water, and needed a change. Doug decided we should make take a run up to a northern lake he’s had good success on in the past.

The first spot was a gradual sloping shoreline and we were casting from deep to the shore. I think about ten casts in, and Doug yells, “Got one!” I turn around to see a massive splash, huge boil on the water and Doug’s limp line. “That was a good one!” he says with a smile on his face. We stare for a couple minutes at the scene of the miss, regroup and get back to the game plan. Off we go, pumped that it’s going to be a good day.

With no more bites on the first shoreline, we head to the opposite side of this section of the lake to a nothing looking bay; a 150 ft indent/bay on an otherwise featureless looking point. About six casts on spot number two and I slip my Beckman under our first fish of the day, a healthy muskie estimated at 42”. Not the monster we were after, but a good looking specimen. Another four hours of casting and two more strikes, but no more muskie landed (except a couple tree muskies!).

Muskie%20(low%20res).JPG

Muskie%20release%20(low%20res).JPG

The day was beautiful, but not very muskie-like with blue bird skies most of the afternoon and very little wind. The final day’s tally was: four fish on Doug’s walleye pattern jerk bait and one landed. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon on the water!

What worked?

I was casting inline spinners and jerk baits with no success, and Doug was throwing a 10” Suick jerk bait which saw most of the action. We positioned the boat in 12 to 15 feet of water and made long casts to rocky shorelines; pausing the baits at any noticeable drop-offs.

Lure - 10” walleye pattern Suick Jerkbait

Depths - four to six feet

Rods - St Croix 6’ Heavy Action

Reels - Shimano Calcutta

Line - 100 lb Power Pro braided fishing line

Leader - 200 lb Seaguar Fluorocarbon

Weather Conditions:

Clear blue bird skies

Winds were west 5-10 km/h in the morning diminishing to barely a breeze by mid-afternoon

Surface water temperatures 65-67 Fahrenheit

Air temperatures reached a high of 26 Celsius

@http://twitter.com/RedsFishin

Edited by redsfishin