Pointe Au Baril Report

skdds

..Back from Pointe Au Baril, thanks for the tips last week. A good trip overall, nailed a number of pike, most in the 25-30" range (one guy at the lodge apparently nailed at 47"!). Had the good fortune to fish with Mike Richardson's guiding partner Jeremy (705-366-5618). Great guy and knows all the back bays and details of the area. Worked really hard to put me on fish and succeeded. Give him a call if interested in the area. During my few days there I hit mostly pike, a few smallies (good sizes that smashed the pike lures), one medium musky..that broke away, a few perch, but sadly, very few walleye!...tried darn hard but the bite was off and then really tanked after the cold front (aka snow..May 8th!-see pic) came in. I be back up there again someday...maybe try the fall this time. Scenery is great too.. skdds

DSCN6059.JPG

DSCN6069.JPG

DSCN6075.JPG

Edited by skdds

Its beautiful to just get up there but bummer on the weather.

I have been invited to go in 2 weeks , so I guess Ill be PM"ing you in the very near future.

Did you go up the river at all for eyes,?? I am not sure how far up the river you are allowed this time of year.

I usually get most of my eyes in the river and on some of the deeper humps out from the river mouth.

Its beautiful to just get up there but bummer on the weather.

I have been invited to go in 2 weeks , so I guess Ill be PM"ing you in the very near future.

Did you go up the river at all for eyes,?? I am not sure how far up the river you are allowed this time of year.

I usually get most of my eyes in the river and on some of the deeper humps out from the river mouth.

I'm sure the weather will be better in two weeks. You are correct, we went up the river as far as we were allowed. Caught a few pike and bass but no eyes. Should be better in a few weeks I would think, and I think you can fish farther inland on the river then too. I've heard its really good fishing farther up but that part of the river was still closed. Water temps were also pretty cold-55 degrees so we had to fish slower and went down to 51-52 degrees after the snow. Wouldn't mind being back there myself in a few weeks too!-skdds