Detroit River update

Bob Devine

Some anglers managed to get out this past wknd with some success. For many the bite was slow and will only get better as the water temps warm up. Most anglers fished the Michigan side and south of the Ambassador bridge. Chartruese jigs with real minnows or Gulp minnows caught most of the fish. The water temps are around 36-38 with some warmer water found shallower.

The last few days we have had a cold front come in and with it N winds. N winds muddy the Ontario side and having a Michigan license will keep you on the water. More cold weather is forecasted for this wknd and will keep things tough. Look for action to start heating up the 3rd wknd of April as we will have walleyes in all 3 periods of spawn. Also keep a close eye on the water as you drive the river, there will be a number of hazards floating.

Thanks Bobby D!! Getting the boat out of storage next weekend.....this Saturday I am at Wally's Baits helping out with the Open House....think I am going to pick up a St. Croix jigging stick as well....what do you suggest?? I was thinking 6' with extra fast action?? Or should I go over 6'?? will have my Okuma Epixor (love that reel!!!) and 6 pound Fireline Crystal....match that up with some Jig Man Jigs and FIN-S and I am ready to go!!!! Even picked up some 4" Gulp Alive to try out this season....

Chrispy!