Morning of Perchin'

Aaron Shirley

A friend Darrell asked me to join him for a morning of fun-filled perch today on his secret spot, and I couldn't pass it up. We got to his spot while it was still dark out and set up. When it got light enough out, we absolutely hammered perch for about 2 hours. lots of smaller perch with some nice fish in the mix.

We fished for about 3 hours, but the last hour was slow. We did get some quailty perch and we both lost a couple big fish, and just before we packed it in before 10am, I lost an absolute tank of a perch at the hole! Ouch.

I had a small gammy octopus hook drop shot style with a shiner, and about 10" down a Blue Fox Big Crappie jig tipped with a small shiner. This was a really hot set-up for me. I was also using a Titanium Stringease strike indicator at the tip of my Rapala ice rod that helped detect the subtle bites.. it must have helped me get about half my perch, as they were hitting very softly after the first 1.5 hours.

A few keepers from the morning

Perch_02-03-2010_01.jpg

Overall it was a great few hours of perchin'. Thanks Darrell! I wan't to try targeting the slab crappies there in the deep water next time

Good fishing!

Aaron

Hey Sudzy, that is the secret. He told me in confidence, and I will never breach the trust of someone who shows me a spot if they want it kept queit, otherwise I would have no prob letting you know. All I can say, is that it is a very small place.

Good fishing!

Aaron

Nice lookin fish.

What lake were you on? unless that is part of the secret too...

Way to go Aaron. Thanks for the report and sharing your set up. Will have to try that presentation myself.

Nothing like those titanium stike indicators, eh. They turn any jigging rod into a super ultra light bite detector.

Hey, your Rapala rod, is it the combo ones they sell at the tackle stores with the Rapapa reel? If it is, it's a nice combo for the price( $40 to $45 )and available in several different actions. Purchased one myself.

Cheers!

Nice photo of some beautiful fish. Hard to beat the almost "tropical fish" look of perch.

You mentioned crappie. I'm crappie-deprived. I've only ever caught ONE in my whole life. (They're not common up north). I'll have to head further south some time.