It's that time of the year again!

adempsey

First, I apologize for the topic. I know it gets old, but somehow it will help you catch more fish! Karma and all that....

I am taking my father fishing for our annual 1 week fishing trip at the beginning of July. Although, the date is negotiable, we just typically go after bass season opens up around my zone.

I am looking for a lake that is in the Timmins, Cochrane, Chapleau, Kirkland area in Ontario that offers, not surprisingly, good fishing!! Basically, this area is <12 hours drive for us and is the reason I chose it. Although, I am open to others within the same distance from Toronto. I'd prefer a drive-to or boat-to lodge.

We fish primarily for Walleye, but like to target Bass, panfish and Pike. I love to fish for Lakers and Whitefish too, but typically target them during the hardwater season...but, I am up for the open water challenge on these as well.

The past two years we went to Lady Evelyn Lake. We enjoyed it both times, but with so many lakes in Ontario/Quebec, I feel the need to move around.

I am currently looking into Ivanhoe Lake and Lake Kipawa. I have read great things about Ivanhoe, but mixed reviews on Kipawa.

Finding a lodge is overwhelming at times, so any suggestions would be most appreciated. I do plan on attending the fishing and boating show in February here in Toronto as well. However, nothing can compare to personal experiences from fellow fishermen.

Thanks in advance!

Do you own a boat or rent one from the lodge you stay at?

Do you like a remote type setting or is a busier lake acceptable?

I would look into the French River, ton of great lodges from nipissing all the way to Georgian Bay. The sme goes for the Pickeral River. Much closer, yet still an air of remoteness. Really unspoiled and some great fishing.

Some of the Kawarthas have great fishing, but they are busy cottage lakes and also close to TO.

I also have read good reviews on Ivanhoe.

It sure is a hard choice, we are lucky here in Canada. Best of Luck.

Thanks MuskyG.

I did forget to include that information.

We have to rent the boat. A more remote setting is much preferred (i.e., no water skiing or jet skiis). Typically the American Plan fishing packages offer the boat and bait and all that as well.

I fished the French River last October and you are right, it's a really beautiful region. I actually plan on going back this summer for a weekender.

I fish the Kawartha lakes regularly. Mostly weekend and day trips. I suppose that's the other reason I am looking further away from Toronto since I often do day and weekend trips to the lakes within a few hours drive, and that includes a lot of places.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers!