Simcoe Whities & Lakers

Aaron Shirley

Hi Gil, Funny you ask that, as I haven't tipped the Foxee jig before this trip. I cut off the tail of a shiner and tipped the Foxee jig. It works well run clean most times, but since the fish were in a negative mood where we fished, I tried tipping it and it worked.

I work the bait by banging it off bottom a few times to stir up the silt, then hang it just off bottom. When I see a fish on sonar looking at the lure, I reel the bait up quickly about a foot or more and pause it. If the fish doesn't hit at this point, I work the fish according to the action of the fish on sonar. Most times on most days I will see a lot of fish refuse before a fish commits. Electronics are essential for my success most days unless they are hitting well on tip-ups.

Hope this helps!

Aaron

Don McCaw shows me this hockey stick rattle reel tip-up years ago, and it has been great. It is a dowel inserted into a door-stopper spring with a loop on the end. An egg sinker or slip weight with a split shot 12" up the line to a gammy octopus hook is the rig. Shiner hooked through the bottom near the anal fin and placed on bottom with a tight line. That's it, pretty simple but effective.

Aaron