Successful Hunt

hoosier

Had some luck bow hunting on Friday. The rut is on in my area and the woods was crawling with deer. I saw 5 bucks and several does by 9:30am. A little spike came through about an hour after daylight to start things off. The woods was quiet for about 45 minute after that. I then caught movement 50 yards downhill. Probably the largest buck I have ever seen in 26 years of deer hunting steps into my shooting lane with his nose to the ground and starts heading my way. The wind was in my favor but he makes a turn and proceeds uphill. He passes by at twenty yards but thick brush prevents a shot. The big boy slowly moves farther away so I rattle and grunt. He comes close again but he simply won't leave the brush. Sadly it was not meant to be.

Not too long after that the woods exploded with deer activity. Three different bucks were pushing does around on my hill. The one buck came twenty yards broadside and I placed an arrow behind the shoulder and watched it drop dead about 80 yards away.

Shotgun season starts next weekend. Hopefully my son or someone else in our hunting party will meet up with the big boy.

100_7826.jpg

My boys were in school so my daughter was my helper processing the deer.

100_7824.jpg