P-Line

MCTFisher9120

One thing for sure, lines change over time even though they sport the same name. Ok....Vanish hasn't changed in over 10 years but I think the company is stuck with too much stock...lol.

Sure there were a number of independant tests done on braids, fluorocarbon and mono and I'm sure that there have been some changes over the years. The sad part is that fishermen don't have the budgets and time to test many lines during a fishing season so they must trust what has been working good for them.

One mono has stood the test of time since it came out is the original Stren. Yes, the company can say that there 8 lb test Stren is the strongest 8 lb test mono on the market but if you check it's diameter....it is larger than some 10 lb test monos....lol. Since it is a very inexpensive line, it does have irregularities in diameter (therefore strength) throughout it's length. It's size makes it more abrasion resistant than other lines and it does not stretch quite as much as Trilene XL. UltraViolet exposition does weaken it quickly....especially the fluorescent colours but, all monos that have added fluorescence added to them to make them easier to see also attracts UV wavelengths. The best way to see if your mono is being affected by UV and heat etc is to run a good length of the line between your thumb and forefinger and then look to see if there is a white powdery substance on your fingers. This means that the line should have been changed a good while ago....lol. Pros change their lines every day because they have noticed that after a day's exposition to sunlight, heat, dust, stress etc....the line does get weaker. Catch a really big fish that has stretched your mono, especially if it has been soaking in the water for a while, you will see that it has weakened. I only use clear mono except for Trilene XT which is available in green only.

What I find strange is the fact that Berkley had an excellent line by the name of Sensithin. Since I use only 2 to 6 lb mono on small spinning reels, I can immediately see if a line is weak, large diameter, visible in the water, hard to manage and Sensithin was the best I had used up till now. Now, I'm in limbo....trying to find a line that is equivalent to Sensithin. Yes, I do have a spool or 2 of 4 lb Sensithin in a drawer in the basement but after next spring, I will have no more.

One mono that has surprised me has been ordinary clear Silver Thread. I have only used it in 6 lb test but it has been surprising. The sad part is the fact that there isn't much choice in lines where I live. I see rows and rows of Trilene, Power Pro, Stren but some of the premium lines that come from Europe or Japan are never available. According to what I have read, the best or one of the best monos is Remington Ultra. I would like to try that stuff some day.

As for fine lines with big fish, I have caught 20 to 40 lb sturgeon on 4 lb mono and my buddy caught a 12 lb pike on 4 lb mono that he put on his Pixy baitcaster. He was jigging for walleye. I often use 4 lb mono for walleye and often catch pike in the 4 to 6 lb range.

I fish a lot with baitcasters but have never tried putting mono on a baitcaster....does it add distance when casting?

First of all Co-polymer isn't Fluorocarbon, it's mono with a Fluoro. coating...possibly the worst of both worlds...grin.

Second, not all Fluorocarbon is the same. the better brands even have different versions for reels and leaders.

Third, Kevin Van Dam swears by (his sponsor) BPS' 100% Fluoro. He is a better fisherman than me and I will defer to him.

Fourth, any 15 pound plastic line Mono or Fluoro. will fish Cranks or Spinnerbaits okay on a casting reel.

Fifth, I think 15 pound test plastic line is too heavy for a spinning reel. My rule of thumb is that spinning reels are used for baits of 1/4 ounce or less...You don't need 15 pound test line with lures that small UNLESS it's Braid.

Sixth, I use Braid most of the time, but heavy plastic lines work okay on casting reels for pitching, or for cranks, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits or Mono for surface baits etc.

Seventh, fish IMO, don't "see" the line, no matter what you use, on fast moving baits like cranks and spinnerbaits.

Eighth, Fluorocarbon sinks, so use it for divers, but not surface baits.

Ninth, there is very little difference in the stretch of mono or fluoro.

Tenth, some Fluoro is more abrasion resistant than Mono.