Fishing salmon

heri0n

Hey guys Im going to try catching salmon for the first time from shore from bronte or port credit. I just have a few questions, what weight line should I use, 20 lbs? And what kind of lures should I be using? Spoons? For spoons do you just cast and reel continually? Thanks guys and any other tips would be appreciated!

well, just 12lb monofilament will do (depends on what your rods rated for really), just make sure you set your drag right and your good in that department. now for lures, yes spoons and yes reel continuously. get a few 2/5oz little cleos, glow in the dark for night and any silver/green or blue or chartreuse combination for day. buzz bombs in any colour, you fish them with a reel, snap, reel retrieve. im not the most experinced salmon fisherman but i get the job done, lol.

good luck to ya!

JP

All the above suggestions are CORRECT. The only thing I can add is when you are fishing for chrome PAY ATTENTION to what is happening around you. If you see fish being caught note the lure used, especially the color, size and what the angler was doing if possible, and copy it as best you can with what you have with you.

This also applies to float fishing, LOOK at the length of length of leader, shot arrangement type of hook size of the hook and its color. Also note the color of the roe and type. Same goes for plastic worms, and or yarn. I have picked up more fish by arriving and just seeming to casually look at what the other people are doing on any given day, and trying my best to emulate the successful methods, and not doing what people who aren't catching fish are doing LOL.

However DO NOT just walk up to someone you don't know and ask expecting someone to give you all their secrets. Keep your eyes and ears open and remember it is very hard to listen when you are yapping yourself. As mentioned though having a couple of Timmies to share around can make you some new friends VERY quickly on a cold night!!!

Edited by Canuck2fan

Braided line is also popular. I use PowerPro 40lb test (which has the diameter of regular 10 lb). I run a 12 lb. flourocarbon leader. For Cleo spoons, the 2/3 oz. or 3/4 oz. sizes work well too. Make sure your rod is rated for the line. A 10-17 lb is a popular size. Shimano Convergence is a great entry-level salmon rod ($70).

A good time to fish is the last 2 hours before sunrise, but a lot of guys head out at night as well, say 11pm onward.

Good Luck.