Gals 'n' Pals Haliburton 2009 Results

Dave Bailey

18 boats gathered at the Haliburton Town dock on a brisk October day in July (chilly, BRRRR!) for the umpteenth annual Gals ‘n’ Pals tournament. Despite the weather some fishing was done in between the sweater changing and Thermos emptying, and while the catch was not anything to make Captain Highliner proud some nice ones lounged around the live-wells at the end of the day. Kristy and Chris Wetzel finished 5th with a total weight of 10.25lbs, just being nipped by 4th place Erin Kennedy and her father Pat at 10.35lbs. 3rd place honours went to Janice McMaster and husband Mark, who rang in at 11.30lbs despite having only 4 fish. 2nd place went to Judy and Terry Ruttle, who made it back to the podium (if we had one) this year with 15.85lbs of wriggling pisciforms.

And the 1st place winner for this year was… (drum roll)… LINDA HATTON! Despite having to drag Steve around in the boat she still managed to place 17.60lbs of basketed bass on the scales, including one of 4.25 lbs which also took the Big Fish prize for the day. With $220 for the overall win and $170 for the largest lunker she had a tidy wad of cash in her wallet, no doubt to be spent wisely on more fishing gear!

Our thanks to Dysart Township and the Town of Haliburton for the use of the dock, it’s had a bit of a refurbishment and looks good, the launch has been improved and no complaints were heard about scraping trailers. The town itself is charming, and those who haven’t been there are missing out on a lovely day. Mark your calendars for July 17th next year, all going well that will be the date I am going to request for the facility. And if anyone has connections to the weather office try to put in a good word for me, for some reason I seem to be on their naughty list.