Football and Shaky Jigs

Prior to my last camping and fishing trip I picked up a pack of 3" Chigger Craw's and a 2pk of Title Shot "Shakey" Jigs. Rigging was easy but I want to learn where these shakey type setups are at there best. I was fishing these under docks and catching mostly rockbass and the odd largemouth. Moving out to weedy waters I kept on getting hung up.

ScreenHunter_14Jul052007.jpg

What are some suggestions for small baits to fish on these hooks, also the only weight I can find at CT are 1/4oz. Also, ideal locations and how should these baits be fished, slow fast, dragged?

Next are these "Football" jigs I just bought. These are black with sparkles and are 3/8oz jigs. In stead of using a slip sinker these might make my life easier. I am guessing large power worms would be good for this but again, best places to use them, fast or slow, dragged, pitched etc..

Just asking for some insight on these two techniques as I have tried the first one and had some resonably good success, and there fun to fish.

ScreenHunter_01Jul091111.jpg

Thanks in advance,

MTBF :D

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Niether jig will fish well in heavy weeds.

Shaky is normally fished over rock, sand or gravel, perhaps with a few sparse weeds. You use thin finesse type worms, like on a drop shot rig. The the jig is designed to hold the bait up, off the bottom...so that you can shake the rod tip and make the worm quiver. If fish are inactive you can tease a strike...

Football jigs are used in the same type of water. Usually you use a Crayfish type plastic or a Senko. The idea is to drag the bait along the bottom...The jig rolls over rocks and the worm looks like it's feeding or the Crayfish like it's crawling along. The football shape is supposed to be less likely to snag between rocks than a round head jig.

For shakey heads, I prefer to use a lighter weight, something like 3/16 or 1/8. This allows for a slower fall, and allows more movement from the bait itself.

The Gambler Giggy Stick is a great on the shakey head, or even an oversized grub like Zoom Fat Albert can be deadly.

Even though it may be meant for a "lighter" worm, I've had great success using stick worms like Yum Dingers of Gambler Aces on the shakey head as well.

Although "shaking" the worm with your rod tip is the point of the technique, I've got many fish while hopping, with the fish generally striking on the fall.

My favourite shakey head jig is Northland's Jungle Shakey Jig:

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/ma...=337&pc=241

Edited by ADB