Niagara River Fishing tips needed for next week trip

Guest buick14

Guest buick14

Hi there

I am going to be going to niagara and would like to fish from shore. I personally dont like fishing the queenston boat launch , and would rather fish the gorge and walk my way down

are there fish to be had at this time of year chucking a spoon anywhere thoughout that river????

I am going to catch and release, and I am also aware no rainbows or browns are in season

thanks for the info!

-Mark

rainbows,browns and lakers are all in season right now...rainbows and browns never close on the river

lots of ice in a few spots right now or I wouldn't be sitting here typing, I would be out in my boat :lol:

in areas with a good drift..bottom bouncing a 3 way rig with a minnow,imitation,or streamer is a hot ticket this time of year. Also float fishing with the same baits. Kwikfish work well on a 3way as well. In slacker current areas jigs have there place. As for spoons be prepared to loose a bunch if you aren't expereinced in the river...simple silver lures are great,cleos,crocs,williams the 1/2 and 1/2 williams are great as well.

Keep in mind that the river has been murky/chocolate milk for almost a month, tonnes of ice flows have been around as well making it very tough to fish. It's just starting to look up :Gonefishing:

I went by the upper last night and it is full of ice. Is the Ice boom not holding or the wind been too strong? Didn't look fishable at all, be lucky to hit the water with all that ice!

I can see the Upper Niagara from my driveway,I live like 2 blocks away from it, and yepper it has seen alot of ice...lake Erie is locking up so it will get better..hopefully a solid ice bridge forms soon on the lower and it's all good to go.

Also keep in mind it has been windy, lots of SW wind off the lake that keeps the water murked up, on top of that lots of snow, then meltoffs have seen a few days where the water has risen like 10-15 feet, then with the cold snap it has made alot of shove ice on the shore line..some of it is on a fairly steep angle pointing right toward the water, other places it over hangs the water and the current steadily undercuts it....NOT SAFE to stand on. be careful where you fish!!!! Also use caution and stay on the trails :Gonefishing:

like mentioned, if conditions didn't really suck lately you would have seen a bunch of reporst from me over the last couple weeks :wallbash::dunno:

Edited by jwl