Big Sturgeon

Moosebunk

This one was apparently caught this spring in Kincardine (Lake Huron). I do not know the original source of the picture. However you gotta say Wow!

I have also heard they are common under the BlueWater Bridge (Sarnia-Port Huron) - although I doubt there are many caught this big.

fish_sturgeon_2_.jpg

There are quite a few right around that bridge. Its always funny to see a hookup on walleye tackle, because the odds of actually landing the thing is about none. You can tell when a boat has one because everyone on board is running around like a chicken with its head off trying to figure out what the hell to do.

Its quite common to see them jumping.

Ya, that's one of the hoax stories, BJE. A great fish to be sure, just not caught in Kincardine. A different species of sturgeon all together from our great lakes fish, as well.

Thanks for the info! I'm not surprised. Personally I thought a fish that size in the great lakes would be an absolute freak of nature. I also thought it was interesting that the caption said it took about 6hrs to land??? and was caught at 11AM. In May - it would still be light out at 5PM!!! This pic was taken in the dark.

Oh well - still a nice fish - wherever it was caught!

Edited by bje

You can tell when a boat has one because everyone on board is running around like a chicken with its head off trying to figure out what the hell to do.

Its quite common to see them jumping.

Sharp spines down the backs of these fish, especially the smaller ones. Use a glove or towel if handy, and tail it. If it's a big fish, once tailed roll it over in the water belly up then stick your hand right in it's mouth. Log roll it into your arms and into the boat. Keep it subdued and don't let it thrash about in the boat so to hurt itself.

Sharp spines down the backs of these fish, especially the smaller ones. Use a glove or towel if handy, and tail it. If it's a big fish, once tailed roll it over in the water belly up then stick your hand right in it's mouth. Log roll it into your arms and into the boat. Keep it subdued and don't let it thrash about in the boat so to hurt itself.

Sounds like a good plan. Now I know what to do if i ever manage to hook into one of them big suckerfishes!