bait casting reels mono vs braid

silvio

I have started to use a bait caster and I am using braid right now on it. I love the fact that there no stretch but I was reading other post and people have been stating that brain looks un natural to fish. my question is I was told it’s hard to cast with mono on a bait caster? and would one give you more casting distance then the other? also is it better to just put a mono leader on if I like the no stretch of braid? Thanks everyone hopefully get a few fish this weekend.

braid id fine, aggressive fish will hit it no matter what, when u need a more finesse look, then use either an invisible braid, like spiderwire invisi-braid, or fireline crystal. ir tie a flourocarbon leader on ur line. use a heavier braid, like 30-50lb on ur reel, this will help with casting as they are designed for larger diameter lines. if u learn to thumb the spool properly, then having backlashes won;t be an issue. most people prefer momo because its easier to un tangle a birdsnest, braid gets knotted up to tight to get out, although i have not once had an issue with iut, i only use braid.

I only use braided line on my baitcasters with a 12" fluorocarbon leader because in most of the waters that I fish, Northern Pike are always there. I bought some 17 pound Trilene XT, that I plan to spool soon to try out. I don't get birds-nests that often with braided line, but when I do, I can usually get them out within 10 seconds. There has only been one time that I've had to cut line with braid on a bait-caster.

i've never ran mono on baitcasters. there is too much line memory so your line gets all twisted.

i run 30-100lb braid, with a mono backing, as do most on this board i think.

never had a problem, and absolutely no line memory.

plus, when it rarely happens, its always easy to get a birrds nest out without worrying about abrasions in the line afterwards.

You have the right set up now.

I don't think anyone said Braid looks unnatural. I think the question was, did a leader make a difference on finesse type presentations.

This is all spinning rod work. If you are using crank baits, spinner baits, jerk baits etc. line visibility really doesn't matter.

The fish are reacting to, and chasing the bait.

Guest Johnny Bass

I find braid casts further lb vs lb and way less birds nests. The only problem is when the birds nest is really, really bad? And you have to pick it free? You usually damage a lot of the braid. And have to replace it, and it is more expensive than mono.

For finese fishing, I don't use braid. I only use braid for big game and fast presentations. I may start spooling some of my reels with braid this year or next year and try the floro carbon leaders. My friend Mark uses braid for everything(no leader) and he does ok. Even finese fishing, but the mono clearly out performs the braid.