Careful what you ask for...

kickingfrog

From the Globe and Mail

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...e+made+of+these

SWEET THEMES ARE MADE OF THESE

Cat noises? Random gunfire? Must be Hockey Night in Canada

OMAR EL AKKAD

July 19, 2008

The Internet has spoken: The next Hockey Night in Canada theme should sound a lot like a baby riding an unco-operative sheep through an industrial grinder.

After the CBC lost the rights to the monstrously popular Hockey Night theme song this summer, the national broadcaster decided to hold an open contest to select Don Cherry's next aural red carpet.

The contest proved very successful, and then a 19-year-old Aurora, Ont., resident named Logan Aube stepped forward with a singular vision: cat noises and random gunfire.

Those who are unable to grasp the composition's subtlety and melodic je ne sais quoi have labelled it by far the most awful of the 1,200 or so entries.

Print Edition - Section Front

Enlarge Image

However, Mr. Aube (with the help of a few thousand of his closest Internet friends) has turned the ditty into the most-commented, arguably highest-rated, most-viewed entry on the CBC contest website.

The average song receives only a handful of hits; the second-most popular entry has been listened to about 17,000 times. Mr. Aube's entry is at 31,000 and counting.

"I was just trying to take what I thought were the core elements of hockey: The cat-like reflexes of the players, the Canadian home-ish feel of other animals," Mr. Aube said in an interview. "So over all, I thought it sort of embodied the sport pretty well."

Since its creation, the song has spawned many remixes, a supportive Facebook group, blogsphere hysteria and YouTube videos featuring, naturally, an animated baby with a hockey stick for an arm.

In an act of immense forethought, the contest rules were designed such that the most popular entries do not necessarily have to be selected as finalists.

Even Mr. Aube, who stands to win $100,000 in cash and half of the continuing performance royalties if his song wins, isn't optimistic.

"I think it's too ahead of its time," he conceded. "But there's always a chance." http://anthemchallenge.cbc.ca/mediadetail/257425