Buckhorn

hoops12

Hello,

I'm heading to buckhorn for a camping/fishing trip this weekend with a few buddies. We are renting a tinny from sunrise resort and hoping to catch a few fish. I'm looking for some advise on island camping on the lake, also any fishing tips or spots, as this is our first time on the lake. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Good luck camping, most islands have cottages on them as does most of the shoreline.

The fishing is usually excellent though, focus on 12 ish FOW during the day with clumps of weeds and toss spinnerbaits and in the shallows in the morning and evening with topwaters.

I've been to Lower Buckhorn a few times, also renting from Sunrise Resort. My last trip there was 2 Sundays ago, after a Saturday on Stoney. Right by the boat launch, there is a floating square dock. Those weeds there have held loads of bass in the past, I remember catching about 14 bass in one hour there 2 summers ago, my most productive time ever.

You will find smallmouth bass by the dam. And if you go through the channel, there is a bay on the left. The fishing was slow in general that day, however I did hook into my PB bass (if I had boated) in about 3 feet of water in the middle of the lillypads. For additional tips, ask the host, he's a great person and help! Dam is supposed to be good for walleye as well, but we didn't catch any in the evening... I still havent caught a walleye over 6" long :(