Any Ceramic Tile Layers Here? NF

Hi everyone, I am currently redoing my bathroom. All baseboards, door casing, subfloor(exisiting with vinyl) Toilet, vanity will be removed. I am wondering if anyone can give me an approximate price to lay subfloor (what would you recommend for subfloor, i have 5/8 tongue and groove ply as main floor), and ceramics on 60 square feet. I have the ceramics but no grout, thinset etc.

What would be a nominal charge per square feet to install the sub and tiles and grout?

You can pm if need be.

Thanks,

John

I wouldn't think it would cost you all that much. when I put down new plywood on my bathroom floor I just used that as a sub floor then put the thin set down and put some of that orange underlay that allows for some movement ( seen it on holmes on homes). then let it dry and then put thin set over that and layed the tiles down. For 60 square feet, I don't think you would need more than 2 bags of thin set probably. And 1 box of grout is loads. It your worried about putting a sub floor then my buddy put in mahogany sub floor material. Just screw it down real good, but I thik the plywood should be fine but I am not a rpofessional...LOL. I would think for thinset, grout and subfloor if you want it, should be around say $100 or just over maybe. Subfloor I heard is like $15-20 for a 4x8 sheet. My floor hasn't cracked or anything and I have some movement in my floors cause my joists are 2x6's (old house). Get a grout sealer too, it makes a huge difference in keeping mold and stuff out of the grout. Hope this helps.

Thanks Charlie, but although I am quite the handyman and licensed electrician, I do not want to do the floor. My buddy who is a tile guy is being an ###. I asked him for a ballpark figure, and he said a grand, i said you got to be kidding, than he said 900 bucks, never got a straight answer so i was wondering if there was any professional installers out here and what i should expect to pay one so professional to put in the subfloor, and install the tiles and grout, using his/hers thinset and grout which would be in the $/sq. ft. the tiles are 13"wavy edge, so roughly 50 or so to lay.

mine was just a rough guess, haven't really priced subfloor. But i have heard as long as your plywood is not mangled, you really don't need a subfloor. I could be wrong thou...LOL. I wouldn't think for 50 tiles it should cost nearly $1000, seems very high to me. Maybe cause its a small job he charges more. My bathroom was 26-28 tiles and very easy once I got the floor level...lol. I have never seen that wavy tile. That should look sharp when it's done. Alot of tile guys i use to know wouldn't touch a small job like that, not worth there time. For my bathroom of 26 tiles with the tile price it cost me about $140 for everything including the underlay, thinset and grout and I bought 4 extra cases. Doing it yourself can save a ton of money...LOL . Your in the niagara area right? If you decide to do it yourself I could possibly help you if you want.