Buying a beater boat, need advice...

addy79

Motor is JUNK tell him to keep it

I couldn't disagree more unless the powerhead is siezed. Only an inspection will tell for sure. Could be the rindgs have rusted to the cylinder walls a little from sitting. This isn't necessarily bad, but certainly not ideal.

The motor in question is mostly likely a 1954-55 Johnson 10 hp. Model number QD-15 or 16. They are great motors that run smoothly and reliably. All the tune up parts are available from your local marina or NAPA. Cost to completely tune up a 1950's 10 hp is $150-200 assuming it needs everything or as little as $25 for just the water pump. That motor also takes a special pressurised fuel tank so it must be included in the deal.

The motor and tank in reasonable cosmetic and good working condition is worth approximately $250. A dealer will not likely give you anything for it especially if its siezed. If its siezed its worth $25-50. If it only needs a tune-up then $75-150.

If you purchase this boat and motor and need help drop me a line. I have lots of experience with these motors. I may even have some literature I can email you.