Upper or Lower Niagara?

muskymike

Simple question, I am looking to head to the river this year. Never fished the Niagara before.

So my question is, Upper or Lower? What has been more productive for everyone?

Thanks guys,

Mike

Edited by MuskyMike

depends on what your looking to fish for. Lower has been great for steelies this winter. For bass in the summer both upper and lower can produce anywhere from 40-100 fish days. those are the main 2 fish I fish for so can't be much help on any other species. Heard lots of people fish for musky in the upper near fort erie.

The upper is fantastic, you have largemouth/smallmouth, pike, muskie and even the odd sheephead/rock bass. I have had some phenomenal days on it for sure but the average angler in a normal everyday summer day would most likley encounter 10-20 bass and depending on where fishing, a muskie and/or pike would be common.

Smallmouth in the upper river run around 2 lbs on average with many fish in the low to mid 3's and some over 4 lbs. There are also largies available with avg. around 1 1/2-2 lbs with some real hawgs but those are the exception. The muskie I encounter while fishing bass are usually in the 4-12 lb range and have seen 2 giants , one around 20 plus lbs and another that was around 30-35 lbs. I have aslo caught numerous pike of similar sizes as to the muskie with one sited that would have been an easy 15 lb plus.

You would generally be fishing shallower water in the upper as compared to the lower and more structure fishing in the upper. Hope this helps.

John

MuskieMike,

As the other members mentioned, both have outstanding fishing! Both host steelhead and other trout species during the cold water period also both have LM, SM bass, Muskie, pike, and panfish. I would suggest a weekend of fishing the Niagara. One day on the upper. One day on the Lower. Be careful on the upper! Use a good GPS/mapping system and watch for rocks!!! Enjoy~

Cast Adventures